Posted in Project

Mermaid Gatefold Card using Stitched Nested Labels dies

You know I couldn’t just stop creating gatefold cards, right?

I had purchased the Magical Mermaid stamp set earlier this year, but never got around to making a project with it. I had ideas on what I wanted to do. But, really, the stumbling block was coloring.

After some experiments, I decided watercoloring was the way to go. Add in the new Fluid 100 watercolor paper we have this year, and it was a go!

Of course, I had to make the card as shiny and over the top as I could. (I did restraine myself a bit.)

Stamp: Magical Mermaid, Gallery Grunge

Ink: VersaMark, Bermuda Bay, Old Olive, Pool Party, Calypso Coral, Mango Melody, Crumb Cake, Petal Pink

Paper: Very Vanilla, Bermuda Bay, Pool Party, Crumb Cake, Calypso Coral, Pear Pizzazz, Fluid 100 watercolor paper, Noble Peacock specialty DSP, Silver foil

Accessories: Stitched Nested Labels dies, Under the Sea dies, Old Olive/Pretty Peacock reversible ribbon, Black embossing powder

I did add a belly band after the fact, to try to hold the card closed. I did not want to cover up the details on the front of the card, so put the ends of the ribbon on the back. The ends of the ribbons are enclosed in two smaller labels, with “Handcrafted just for you” stamped. (I don’t have a picture, it came out too blurry.)

I tried to be patient with coloring the mermaid. I added color in layers to the different sections.

Did you notice that I didn’t use StazOn ink? I did heat embossing instead. Part of the quirks of the watercolor paper is that it absorbed the embossing powder when it was hot. As a result, there is very little texture from the embossing powder. Just detail. Works for me!

To create the die cut opening, I die cut a Very Vanilla card base first. I then cut my two pieces of DSP for the flaps. (I cut one full piece, then cut off pieces to fit the flaps.) To die cut the DSP pieces, hold the DSP on one flap, then line up the die on the other flap. Temporarily tape to the DSP, then die cut it.

Do the same for the other flap. Glue DSP down on the flaps. Easy!

The background for the inner card is stamped with Gallery Grunge. I die cut a smaller label (than what the sentiment is on) from a Post-it. I put the post-it where the sentiment would go, and used it as a guide for stamping the “bubble” texture.

At the bottom, I stamped the lines from the set. I had to stamp twice. The second stamping is rotated 180 degrees from the first, and I think I got the two lined up pretty well.

I decorated the sentiment and the inner card with elements from the Under the Sea dies.

The inside card has a piece of Very Vanilla, decorated with more die cuts.

I did want to add shimmer to the mermaid. However, since the solvent in the Wink of Stella pen can affect water-based ink, I decided to leave it as-is.

I don’t have a picture, but I adhered the mermaid to the card with a combination of glue dots and dimensionals. I added a dimensional under the butt and fin of the tail. I added glue dots under her head and under the skinny part of the tail. Enhances the illusion of dimension from the coloring.