It’s a week late (from the beginning of the month), and I finally have a chance to post this. I even missed World Cardmaking Day (Saturday, Oct. 3). Sigh.
I wanted to create something for Halloween, but not necessarily a treat bag. I decided to incorporate a non-Stampin’ Up! item (*shock*, I know!). But, it was the only way I can think of to accomplish one of the techniques on this card. First, let me show you the card.
Stamp set: Among the Branches photopolymer (Holiday catalog)
Ink: Tangelo Twist, Crumb Cake
Paper: Basic Black, Crumb Cake, Very Vanilla, Happy Haunting Designer Series Paper (Holiday catalog)
I started from Mojo Monday sketch 417, and flipped it top/bottom.
I added some color to the imprint (background) of the embossing by inking my folder before embossing. Using a brayer makes sure that the coverage is even. You apply the ink to the textured, raised portion of the FRONT of the embossing folder (the part that is on top as you emboss to have the tree trunks raised up). The raised portion on the other side of the folder is smooth, so does not take ink as well (unless you use pigment ink). I like how, in this case, it adds a nice suede-looking finish and enough color to make the trees stand out. I was going to add the spooky eyes from the same stamp set, but the opening in the trees was just a tad too small.
I used the non-Stampin’ Up! tool on the sentiment. It’s called a MISTI. It’s like the Stamp-a-ma-jig, except you can stamp again precisely where you stamped before. Lydia Fiedler (of Understand Blue blog and community manager of Splitcoast Stampers web site) taught us this cool technique that she said works really nicely with circles and balloons: ink your stamp and stamp onto cardstock, and keep doing that, but each time ink less and less of your stamp. In the end, you create shading of your circle/balloon with that one color. I don’t know if it shows up well in the picture:
I thought the sentiment circle came out looking like a spooky moon at moonrise (you know, how sometimes it looks darker and bigger on the horizon, especially right around the beginning of fall).
To ink my stamp, I used a sponge dauber. Really juicy foam pads do not play well with solid photopolymer images. This was my way of compensating. It would have turned out great with just one inking or even two complete inkings. But, I decided to play with the increasingly partial inkings that Lydia taught and I like the effect!
For balance to the large sentiment, I added the remaining element at the bottom (which was originally at the top): a line of three items. In my case, I used black sequins (they are one of the Weekly Deals until Monday night, by the way!).
It is interesting how it does balance out the design. In case you don’t believe me, here is the original card without the sequins.
If you are wondering about the crochet trim, I thought I’d stick to the part of the sketch that seemed to call for some kind of ribbon there. I eventually chose the crochet trim because of the similarity to cobwebs (just nod your head). 🙂
One last detail that I love about this card: the star patterned paper. Evokes a cool, clear night. Although, you wouldn’t really see a dark full moon on a clear night… unless there was a lunar eclipse, I suppose!
Oh, and I do have to mention. The stamp set and embossing folder were meant to be together. As such, they are offered at a bundle for 15% off.