It’s a Girl!

Another co-worker is about to go on maternity leave, and I was asked to provide a card! (I think it’s becoming known that I’m the resident crafty person, or at least one of them! A few people started approaching me for advice…)

Since she knows she’s having a girl, I wanted to make something cute and girly. Which meant some of the stretch ruffled trim, of course. And, she’s pretty sure she’s having a girl, unlike another of our co-workers who had a baby in the summer. She thought she was going to have a boy, and delivered a girl! Guess ultrasounds are not completely reliable for that.

I browsed in many places for inspiration. The one that finally sparked the idea was a card from Amanda Mertz (thank you!), on Splitcoast Stampers.

GirlElephantPolaroid

Stamps:

Ink:

Paper:

Accessories:

(I am trying out a new way to list supplies, so that they all link back to my online store if you want to see more details. Thoughts?)

See, ultra cute! I like the little details I borrowed: the little flower on the elephant and the ruffled trim added to the back of a button. The ruffled trim is held in place with Sticky Strip on the back of the button. You have to cut them into very small pieces, but it works! (press the trim hard to the button to keep in place)

I used the Square framelits to create a polaroid-style panel. Coincidentally, this creates a nice spot for a sentiment.

I embossed the background with the Alphabet Press embossing folder, to add some texture. Plus, the alphabet theme works well with a baby theme. Oh, I am so glad I picked up this stamp set during the week that selected stamp sets were 25% off!

In case you want measurements to create something similar:

  • Card base is 5″ x 7″ closed
  • Embossed panel is 4-1/4″ x 6-1/4″, which is the largest that you can emboss (awesome!)
  • Polaroid panel is 3-1/2″ x 4-1/4″, DSP panel is 3-1/4″ x 3-1/4″

Here is the inside. We needed room to write messages, but I thought it would be weird to leave the inside “naked”.

GirlElephantPolaroidOpen

Someone put a speech bubble on the giraffe. Isn’t that fun?

Additional supplies:

I usually use the Basic Black marker on my stamps, rather than the ink pad… mostly because the marker doesn’t stain the stamp like the ink pad does. Yes, I have issues.

I used non-Stampin’ Up! cardstock for the base and the polaroid panel. Since this was a card that was going to be handled a lot, I needed something heavier. We needed as much space as possible for messages, so I couldn’t use a different color for the card base. Alas.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: