Mix It Up
I wanted to make a card that used coordinating DSP and washi tape together. After all, they were meant to coordinate, so I should use them together, right?
When I saw Mojo Monday sketch 296, I finally had an idea of what to do. It took a couple of iterations, but this is what I came up with.
Stamp set: Label Love
Ink: Daffodil Delight, Strawberry Slush
Paper: Naturals White, Midnight Muse, Daffodil Delight, Strawberry Slush, Whisper White, Gingham Garden DSP
Accessories: Gingham Garden washi tape, Artisan Label punch, Bitty Banners framelits, Full Heart punch, 1-3/4″ circle punch, Adorning Accents textured impressions folders, Large Pearls Basic jewels
See what I did? For the strips in the sketch, I used pieces of washi tape. Since they are part of the same suite as the DSP, I knew they would go together! This is a natural use of washi tape… as strips. I did cut the washi tape so that I had clean, straight edges, since I didn’t want the “free-spirited” look.
For the bottom DSP piece, I chose the Island Indigo gingham design. I like gingham and I thought the Island Indigo would give nice contrast to the rest of the card.
I actually had a harder time figuring out the other elements. I knew I wanted a heart, circle, and artisan label, but it was a matter of what to do specifically with each part.
For the heart, I wanted to use Midnight Muse, and ended up embossing cardstock with hearts. I thought it provided a bit of a whimsical detail. I also had to emboss twice, since the heart is a bit taller that the width of the pattern. After embossing the top half of the heart, I moved it up and matched some of the embossing with the folder. I ran the heart through the Big Shot, this time with the (retired) decorative strip plate so that I could just cover up part of the embossing folder. (If you cover the entire embossing folder with a cutting plate, you’ll flatten part of the embossing from the first run.) Cute, and one element down.
For the circle, I decided I wanted DSP. I started with the Melon Mambo gingham design, but that would clash with the other gingham I already chose. Then I tried the floral pattern with the Whisper White background, since it contains all of the colors I was using and would help tie everything together. Unfortunately, the piece got “lost” in the card base. So I ultimately chose the design you see. Some color, doesn’t compete with anything else, and it stands out enough from the base of the card.
Finally, we come to the sentiment. I like popping up the middle of this particular sentiment. I started with the full (bottom) label being the same color (or stamped-off first), but there still wasn’t enough contrast and interest. After finalizing the circle element, I decided to make it a different color (Daffodil Delight) with the same ink and cardstock, while keeping the popped up part of the sentiment in Strawberry Slush. Of course, I couldn’t resist putting a little banner for extra oomph.