An Angel Card

I saved for last my swap card that is my favorite.

In the days of swap signup frenzy before Convention, someone asked people to volunteer to make cards that can be swapped for a demonstrator that could not make it to Convention for health reasons. I had met the demonstrator just last year, and was amazed at her attitude on life, considering what was going on.

So, of course I signed up to make a set of cards to swap for her.

And, to top it off, I decided to use a card design that I thought was the most over-the-top of the cards I made this year.

Wanna see?


Stamp set: Yippee, Skippee (new!), Memorable Moments, Hearts a Flutter

Ink: Smoky Slate, Strawberry Slush

Paper: Naturals White, Real Red, Basic Gray, Smoky Slate, Strawberry Slush, Soft Sky, Polka Dot Parade DSP

Accessories: Labels collection framelits, Hearts a Flutter framelits, Stampin’ dimensionals

It took quite a long time to put all of these layers together. And, the card front was so solid… if you ever make this into a full card, you’d need 2-3 layers on the inside to balance it out! šŸ™‚ You’ll also see that it is a variation on another card I did back in May.

This is the only card that has fussy-cutting. And, the shape isn’t so bad; cutting went fairly quickly (less than an hour for 24 pieces). For the prototype, I diecut the shape first. But, I realized that it was unnecessary to do that once I got to mass production. I have to cut by hand anyway, so why do the extra step? šŸ™‚

I like creating a label this way: stamp the frame and trim close to it. Mat with a die-cut label. It creates a smaller border than if you layered two different-sized labels.

As I was putting the swap together (both prototype and mass production), it struck me that a simpler version is also quite nice. Here’s what the card looks like without the hearts:


It still works, right? I imagine for a class setting, this might be preferable.

I’ll have to briefly mention the color scheme. You’ll notice that I layered Strawberry Slush over Real Red. Even though one is red and the other is pink, I’m surprised that the sentiment layers still stand out. I guess the banner helps, as well as the frame around the sentiment. Maybe it’s also because the ever-so-slight difference of red to pink also makes the layer stand out (even at similar saturation levels), while still blending. I used Soft Sky for the larger heart as contrast.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

%d bloggers like this: