Rubber Surgery

The next swap card I’m going to show you was also for an organized swap. The theme of this swap was to use a new stamp set from the new Annual Catalog. It could not be an incentive stamp set or a preorder stamp set.

I chose to use Giggle Greetings because the sentiments are just a bit wacky.

CherriesFramedME

Stamp set: Giggle Greetings (new)

Ink: Real Red, Cherry Cobbler, Daffodil Delight, Island Indigo, Smoky Slate, Cherry Cobbler and Gumball Green markers

Paper: Basic Black, Pool Party Core’dinations, Shimmery White, Whisper White, Red Glimmer, Polka Dot Parade DSP

Accessories: Apothecary Accents framelits, Ovals collection framelits, 1″ square punch, Vintage faceted designer buttons, Large Rhinestones Basic Jewels, Cupcake builder punch (inside), Stamp-a-ma-jig, Stampin’ dimensionals, Aqua painters

I was going for a Mary Englebreit look/color scheme. Did it work? Somehow, when I see a quote about a bowl of cherries I think about her designs (although I think she uses “a chair of bowlies” instead).

I wanted a fancy frame for the focal image rather than just a rectangle. I die-cut a piece of DSP using Apothecary Accents on the outside and an oval (the 3rd smallest) on the inside. I don’t have the magnetic platform, YET (can’t wait until we can order this again), so I had to come up with another solution (I use painter’s tape). Initially, I was positioning the outer frame first, then putting down the inner oval. Once it was where I wanted both pieces to be, I would secure with blue tape. Sounds reasonable, right? The a-ha moment came when I had to re-position the outer frame. Why not just keep both pieces attached together with the blue tape, and position over each DSP piece AS A WHOLE?

Here’s what I’m talking about (forgive the lighting; I had to document before I cleaned up late one night).

FramelitFrameHelp

I put the pieces, still attached together, over a new piece of DSP and just lightly pressed down on the unattached parts. EASY!

I cut pieces for my stamped image using the next size of oval (4th smallest). It was easier that way: bigger than the opening of the frame, and I knew it would fit in back of the frame. Better than using a rectangle and lopping off excess, or using the same size oval and having to line everything up.

You’re probably wondering by now what I meant by Rubber Surgery as the title of this post. Well, you know how I like to cut apart sentiments from images when they are together on the same stamp? Well, what happens if the stamp has two sets of sentiments? I can’t just mount onto the side of the wood block like I normally do. To the rescue comes wood blocks I somehow saved from unused (shock!) sets.

I thought I’d want to use the bowl of cherries stamp and the doggie stamp with the sentiments in different places. Fortunately, these two stamps have enough space between the image and the sentiments that they can be cut apart. Here’s what I did with the cherry stamp:

StampSurgery_GiggleGreetings

For the required embellishment, I used a stacked Vintage faceted button with a large rhinestone. I like how in-your-face this looks. So shiny!

Since this was a full-card swap, I had to stamp the second part of the sentiment on the inside (where it is better used, in my opinion, away from the first part of the sentiment). I also decorated with cherries punched with the Cupcake builder punch, and colored with markers.

CherriesFramedME_inside

(sorry, it’s a bit blurry!)

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: