March Newsletter Project

This is the project included in this month’s newsletter. I wanted to use the different patterns in Everyday Enchantment that contain Poppy Parade. This is what happened. šŸ™‚

Stamp set: Fresh Vintage (SAB)

Ink: Crumb Cake

Paper: Crumb Cake, Poppy Parade, Soft Suede, Peach Parfait, Pool Party, Everyday Enchantment DSP (SAB)

Accessories: Beautiful Wings embosslits, Scallop edge border punch, 1-1/4″ square punch, Stampin’ dimensionals

Did you see the list of cardstock I used? Boy, there sure are a lot of “p” in that list!

But seriously…

As you can see, I used three of the DSP patterns that only used Poppy Parade, one in a repeat. I needed 5 squares total, so I had to pick another pattern. I decided to use one with a multi-colored floral pattern to give the card a bit of color. I chose the floral rather than the stripe or fan (or any of the others), because the monochromatic patterns mostly contained a floral motif.

I used a 1-1/4″ square punch to cut up the DSP. Two reasons: 1) each piece will be uniform (same size, squared corners), and 2) it’s easier to get the piece that you want in your little square. I originally was going to put them directly on the scalloped strip as a single mat. But then, I decided to add the Soft Suede strip as a second mat. Again, two reasons: 1) it is easier to line up the squares on a strip with a straight edge, 2) I liked the look of the double mat.

I also wrote down how I calculated the widths of the matting strips. The Soft Suede strip was 1/8″ wider (so 1-3/8″ wide). The Poppy Parade strip started life as 1″ wider than the squares (so 2-1/4″). After punching, I got the spacing I wanted between the edge of the Soft Suede strip and the scallops. (If I didn’t add the Soft Suede strip, I think I would have started the scallop strip at 7/8″ wider instead for the narrower margins.) Hope this all makes sense!

I stamped the matching floral motif from the Fresh Vintage stamp set in the lower right hand corner. I wish I got it more in the corner… It looks like it’s floating in space a bit. Oh well!

Then, I got the idea to have the butterflies drifting up off the flowers. I think it worked out well. I also included a small butterfly in the multi-colored panel for a little bit of added dimension. šŸ™‚

No ribbon on this one, sorry! Just couldn’t figure out how to add it without it looking out of place. I really need to start on more projects to use up ribbon, though. You should see the assortment that’s collecting dust!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

%d bloggers like this: