I prototyped a whole bunch of potential 3D swaps for OnStage, but most didn’t make the cut (I ran out of time!). The project I am sharing with you today is one that I had to leave at home. It’s easy to produce, so a great one to make multiples to hand out to a bunch of people.
Stamps: Merry Cafe (retiring)
Ink: Real Red
Paper: Real Red, Old Olive, Christmas Around the World DSP (retiring)
Accessories: Scalloped Tag Topper punch, Tinsel trim (retiring), 1″ circle punch, 1-1/4″ circle punch, Metallic enamel shapes, 2″ x 8″ Cellophane bags, Tear n Tape
It opens and closes like a matchbook. I chose the DSP pattern that shows holiday treats on the other side.
I found these mints at a local grocery store. It’s a national brand, so should be available in most places.
I forgot to take pictures of the assembly, and had to make another treat holder to take more pictures.
I cut a piece of Real Red cardstock at 3″ x 2″. Along the 3″ edge, mark the halfway point (1-1/2″). Punch both ends of the piece in the Scalloped Tag Topper punch. Cut the cardstock in half.
Cut a strip of DSP at 2″ x 6″. Note the direction of any patterns. Directional patterns work best on the inside. Score along the long (6″) side at 2-3/4″ and 3-1/4″.
On one topper, place a Tear n Tape strip just under the tag ribbon hole. Add another strip so that the top edge of the Tear in Tape (away from the bottom edge of the tag) is about 3/8″ inches from the edge. (Alternately, place Tear n Tape 1/8″ from the bottom edge.)
Cut a 2″ x 8″ cellophane bag to 2-1/4″ tall. Add Tear n Tape to the open edge, one side only.
Remove backing from the bottom strip of Tear n Tape on the topper, and align the top edge of DSP along the top edge of Tear n Tape.
Remove backing from other strip on the topper. Line up and adhere the second tag topper.
Line up bottom of cellophane bag with fold of DSP. The top edge of the cellophane bag should be just under the tag topper. Slide in candy, and slip open side of DSP under tag topper.
You can make these treat holders for any time of year! The green candy would work well for Spring projects. This brand also makes peppermint (blue), ginger (orange?), and cinnamon (red).
I had given away all of these cards without taking a photo first. I had to create one more copy in order to share it with you! That’s because all of my prototypes were different.
First, the swap card:
Stamps: A Little Wild, Burlap background
Ink: Powder Pink, Soft Sky, Tuxedo Black Memento, Stampin’ Blends (Smoky Slate, Pink Pirouette)
Paper: Pink Pirouette, Whisper White
Accessories: Stitched Shapes framelits, Layering Circles framelits, Little Loves framelits, Silver metallic thread, Fine tip glue pen
Before you put the card into the envelope, you would “wind up” the elephant on her string. When the card is pulled out and opened, she spins! (I say “she” because she has pink toenails!)
Getting everything lined up was quite the challenge, and I wouldn’t do it again, in retrospect. The background is stamped in the same position on all 4 card surfaces. That’s how the images line up, even though the card front is folded back. I even tried to line up the burlap background stamped onto the backing circle. I got the idea to stamp the backgrounds in the same place from a similar card design by Jennifer McGuire.
Side note: I used a MISTI to stamp the backgrounds, because that is what I have. But, the new Stamparatus can be used as well. I don’t actually have one yet (I reserved one!), but it can do the same as the MISTI, plus more. (You can still reserve one, to receive next spring, by going to my online store and clicking on the image to reserve a Stamparatus. Reservations close on December 30.)
I ran out of time to put a sentiment on mine, but that’s okay! Now it can be used for anything … baby, hi, thanks, etc.
The silver metallic thread is sandwiched between the front and back of the elephant. I had to snip off the tag loop, but otherwise, the die makes it easy to turn the elephant into a spinner element. (She’s also fairly symmetrical, which makes it easy to spin and fit into a shape.)
The thread is then attached to the inner fold of the z-fold of the card front. I used my Fine tip glue pen. Don’t use Tombow, because it’s still tacky, even when dry. Because the thread is fine enough, it will blend into the cardstock enough, even if someone looked at the back of the z-fold.
I used washi tape to hold the thread in place while the glue dried.
Once the glue was dry, I snipped the thread to be even with the card base. Here’s a closeup of the glue in the fold.
On the prior incarnation of this card, I added a flower to the elephant, and stamped grass on the backing circle, rather than stamping a background. Both elements come from the A Little Wild stamp set.
I thought that mass production wouldn’t be simple. Using a craft blade to cut around her trunk wasn’t easy and it didn’t look neat enough for my tastes. You’ll see that I used Stampin’ Write markers to color.
When I first prototyped this card, it started out with a different background and a different card base color.
I used the floral image from Wood Words to stamp around where the elephant would be. It took three images to fill each panel. I really liked how this turned out. However, for mass production, I decided that this would be too time consuming (12 total stamping per card, rather than 4), so looked to another background (which led to using Burlap).
At the time, we didn’t know we were getting the Stampin’ Blends. I had originally cut the elephant out of Basic Gray cardstock and painted her toenails with a Stampin’ Chalk marker.